CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, July 26, 2008

CVS Game

Today I hit up HT for my last trip of triple coupons. Yesterday, Harris Teeter was OUT of everyhing. This is not usually the case for HT. This tell me that more people are really watching every penny during these hard times. I called my local HT to ask when the next truck would come in, which was mid afternoon today (Saturday.) I waited until 5 p.m. to make my trip to find that they did have most of everything I wanted. I did miss out on a few things, however I got a BUNCH of rain checks. I also ran over to Walgreens to make another back to school run. They were out of my highlighters for .39 cents, however I was able to get a rain check! Keep this in mind if there is an item you can't find. This was a store coupon sale, so it was nice to see that I could still get a rain check. I also picked up some more white poster boards for .10 each. My older two children have a bad habit about letting me know they need poster board for a project due the next day at 9p.m.! We should have a good stock...for a while.

Sunday begins a new week of CVS ads. This is a great way to get some deals and save some money. I found this "how to..." on another blog, so I am going to share it with everyone. It explains how to play the CVS game. Thanks to "mommysnacks.blogspot.com" for the information!

CVS is a store I hit just about every week to get some good (mostly free) deals. I hear people tell me that "It's so confusing" or, the most familiar line, "I just don't have time." So, I want to debunkify those comments and help you "play" cvs by just a few things to remember. So, here are my Top 5 Tips to Playing CVS.
Click here for more on this Snack...



CVS has a CVS Card you use each time you shop there. If you don't have a CVS card, just request one at your first shopping trip or go to CVS' website and request a card. Be sure to register you card online so you will get access to money-saving coupons (more on that in a second).


CVS has monthly (there is a book at the register with the monthly deals) and weekly items you purchase to earn CVS coupons which are called ECB's (extra care bucks). The ECB's print at the bottom of your receipt as soon as you make the purchase that earns the ECB's. ECB's work just like a coupon works the only caveat is that you must purchase an item for each ECB you choose to use. You can also use real manufacturer's (MFG) coupons with ECB's to reduce you out-of-pocket (OOP) expense. Remember, they expire just like MFG coupons so use 'em or lose 'em!


4/9/08: One thing to add to this - You don't have to purchase all of the ECB items in one transaction! Just purchase the ECB items within that weekly sale (or monthly ECB book) in order to get the ECB to print.

For example, I just did the $10 ECB when you buy $25 baby products. Well, in order to get the maximum savings, I did three separate transactions. On my third (and final) transaction, I had fulfilled the required $25 purchase amount and my $10 ECB printed.


CVS has money-saving coupons (or CVS $ off $$ Coupons) they email customers (see #1 - Register That Card) that you can also use to further reduce your OOP in addition to using your ECB's and MFG coupons. These also have expiration dates.

In order to maximize your savings (and to avoid annoying beeps at the register), use your coupons in this order - I call it the CVS Coupon Submission Order:
CVS $ off $$ Coupons, MFG coupons, ECB's

NOTE: If you know your total before you go to CVS, you can use this order:
CVS $ off $$ coupons, ECB's, MFG coupons

This order helps to pay for some of the sales tax - but even with my high analytical style, I haven't minded to pay pennies for getting $50 worth of stuff!

Try to Roll your ECB's - this simply means buy an item that earns ECB's and pay for it using ECB's. That way, you will use your ECB before it expires on something that is going to be giving you another ECB. I try to do this, but I won't buy ECB qualifying items if I don't need them - one can only have so many tubes of toothpaste and bottles of shampoo!

I certainly don't encourage purchasing stuff that you don't need because it earns you ECB's. I want us to be good stewards of our money! So, if you just gotta have the stuff that earns ECB's and don't need it - donate it or give it to a new couponer trying to build a stockpile - you can feel good about buying it and sharing it!

Are you a CVS'er? Do you have other tips to share? Please leave them and share!

Edit 2/8/08: One more thing I want to add (thanks to Amber's suggestion) is that you can make several transactions in order to roll your ECB's instantly and lessen your OOP.

For example, if you are just starting and know that you will be buying stuff that earn ECB's, make one transaction with those items and pay with cash. Get your ECB's and turn around and make another transaction paying for your other items (that will hopefully earn your more ECB's). Make a third if you want too. I personally have never had a store get upset about this, but just be aware of how many people are waiting in line so you're not holding everyone else up.

Edit 2/28/08: One other thing I thought I would mention - CVS sales are generally the same in all regions. There are a few differences, but overall they are the same for Georgia or Ohio. When you read the CVS Snacks each week, be sure to double check your ad.

0 comments: